Erin Solstice is the main protagonist of The Wandering Inn. She is an [Innkeeper] and master-class chess player. She first wandered in to this world on her way to the bathroom and has been stuck ever since.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Erin has fair skin, hazel eyes and light brown hair with the slightest orange tint. While initially she had short hair, it grew longer, to the point where she can tie it at the back of her head. She would eventually get her hair cut, but it would still be longer than the start. She wears a custom-ordered variation of a t-shirt and pants, and a worker apron.
Personality[edit | edit source]
She is quite social, and tends to speak a lot. She is not very deceptive and is bad at keeping secrets from others. She is very politically correct, and goes to great pains to enforce equal rights within the territory of her inn.
If she is threatened, she does not hesitate to fight back, however she is unlikely to throw the first punch.
She loves playing chess, but is unwilling to view it as anything more than a game, thus preventing her from gaining levels for being skilled in it.
As a homebody, she views the longest acceptable travel times as sixteen hours, by plane. As such anything else that may take her longer then that, even if she travelled for free there and back, with luxury accommodations included, she would still not go.
Background[edit | edit source]
Erin Solstice was born on the 21st of June, 1996, coincidentally on the same day that the Summer Solstice occurred. Due to this coincidence and her family surname, her parents had said that her birth was a sign.
She lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Erin was a child prodigy at chess, reaching an ELO of 2000 as a kid. She went to many tournaments, studied and played chess late into the night. She won many local tournaments and also was invited to some big ones where she never won first place. She only came close once in Havana. She once played a female Grandmaster, but lost because of her excitement.
She went to tournaments all around the world at a young age, casually learning local customs and languages (among them Spanish, French, Dutch and Japanese at the very least) there but doesn't speak any of them fluently aside from some words. She didn't do well in French classes.
When she was younger, she dreamed of being a astronaut. Then, when she’d been slightly older she’d wanted to be a legendary chess player, someone who could beat even a computer in chess. And then she’d wanted to be a chess commentator, someone with a huge following or even a Youtube channel. At some point during her youth, she had been fed up with chess, rebelled and and got away from the game, but as one of her latest developments back on Earth, she was fascinated with chess again and pursued a more casual chess gaming. She assumes she might be at 2400 if she had kept playing constantly. She later didn’t enroll in college, preferring to work as a chess tutor and tournament contender to save up money before going on to study.
Erin had a close relationship with her loving parents. She once had a boyfriend, but never lost her virginity. It is not clear if said "boyfriend" is the same one as her online relationship with mysterio_Gamer12, whom she met during online chess games. She had been certain he was a handsome guy... until she found out, during one awkward Skype conversation, that mysterio was actually a Polish girl who thought she was a guy.
After having arrived in this new harsh world, she found an empty inn. With no place to go, she took it as her own and decided to reopen it under the name The Wandering Inn, hoping it would make it easier for her to survive. With no prior experience of handling an inn, she often met with hardships and slowly had to accustom herself to a live as an [Innkeeper].
Chronology[edit | edit source]
Volume 1:[edit | edit source]
When Erin was going around a corner in her home in Michigan intending to enter the bathroom, she suddenly found herself face to face with a Dragon in a cave.
After running from the Dragon and some Goblins who chased her, Erin found an abandoned Inn and became an [Innkeeper]. She spent the next few days surviving monster attacks and fending off Goblins, before getting her first customers.
In Liscor, the city closest to the Wandering Inn, as Erin called her inn by now, she met several people who also began to help her, prominently among them the Drakes Olesm and Selys as well as the Gnoll merchant Krshia.
Erin was nearly killed again when Goblins attacked her Inn, and was saved by Rags — one of her Goblin customers whom she named — and Klbkch, the latter of whom died protecting her. Because of Klbkch’s death, Erin lost the protection of Liscor’s watch, and Relc as a customer.
After Klbkch’s death, Erin met an Antinium Worker whom she helped become the individual Pawn. She played chess against him and around hundred other Workers that accompanied him in an Immortal Game, gaining the skill [Immortal Moment] as a result. At some point, Erin met the Named Adventurer, Gazi Pathseeker, when she was destroying a Shield Spider’s Nest. Because of that and her [Immortal Moment] Skill, Gazi took an immediate interest in Erin.
After finding her Inn ransacked by a mysterious robber, Erin searched for some bodyguards to protect her and her Inn. Unable to afford guards, Pisces, who hasn’t paid for most of his meals, then gave Erin a skeleton to be her bodyguard as a form of payment. The skeleton, who was later named Toren, became Erin’s first employee and helped her gather and serve food and drinks to Goblins and Antinium.
After the discovery of a crypt a few miles away from Liscor, Adventurers began flocking to the city. Erin, who had only had a skeleton, Goblins, and Antinium, in her Inn for a while, needed to protect herself and her guests from the visiting Human Adventurers.
Eventually, an adventuring group called the Horns of Hammerad stopped by her Inn and became the first customers to rent a room. When Klbkch’s successor, Ksmvr, maimed Pawn, Erin used [Immortal Moment] to sing and make her songs come to life.
The leader of the Silver Ranked team, the Minotaur named Calruz, tought Erin and Toren how to fight after seeing Erin fail to protect Pawn. Erin learned [Power Strike] in a day, and was told that she is talented.
When the expedition by the Horns and several other Silver Ranked teams failed and unleashed Skinner and thousands of Undead, Erin’s Inn was attacked by the Undead. The Antinium Chess Club, led by Knight, rushed to Erin’s Inn to help protect her.
Erin, Toren, and the individuals managed to fend off the Undead for a while, but were eventually overwhelmed when Skinner himself comes. Erin, who fell under the effects of Skinner’s [Terror] spell, was unable to fight, and Knight died.
After Knight’s death Erin used [Immortal Moment] and played chess against herself for an eternity. She played for what felt like years, until living became fear, and fear became living. When Erin stopped playing, she still felt fear from Skinner’s spell, but she was used to the fear and thus able to fight back.
Using up all of her acid jars, Erin was eventually forced out of her Inn in a desperate charge against Skinner. Erin, Toren, and the remaining Individuals, managed to badly wound Skinner, forcing it to shed its protective shell of dead skin. However, this gave Skinner the speed and mobility it didn’t have before, and almost killed Erin.
Erin was saved by Klbkch, who was revived by the Rite of Anastases and saved Erin just in time, forcing Skinner to realize it was outmatched and retreat. Rags and her tribe chased the monster down and finished it off, causing all the Undead to leave, ending the attack on Liscor.
The next day, Erin wept for the dead.
Volume 2:[edit | edit source]
Afterwards, Erin met Ryoka, a fellow Earthworlder, as Ryoka stopped by in her inn. The two girls befriended each other, and rushed to the crypt ruin where the Horns of Hammerad had failed, because they wanted to rescue Ceria, who was together with Olesm the only remaining survivors of the expedition.
Exiting the ruins, Erin and Ryoka were greeted by Gazi who tried to kidnap and bring them to Flos, her [King]. Despite help from many high-leveled natives of Liscor, they could barely prevent Gazi from succeeding; Erin poked out Gazi's main eye and caused her to flee the scene.
After a long brainstorming session, Ryoka left Erin to take care of her own things, while Erin had to face the arriving winter. Her skeleton Toren blew up the old inn, and Erin's friends helped her reconstruct a new inn much closer to Liscor. Erin also had her first successes as a salesperson for hamburgers short after. It then turned out that the Liscorians quickly copied Erin's recipe, and in an attempt to top them again, she started an iPhone concert on a whim - something that has not been repeated afterwards. At that time, Erin also received a magical chessboard and assembled a banquet for Frost Faeries who gifted her the Faerie Flowers.
Erin gained her first living employee soon afterwards: Lyonette, who was reluctant to became a [Barmaid] in her inn. Her employment also created a rift between Erin and all Gnolls in Liscor, as Lyonette had been condemned to death in exile by the Liscorian authorities. However, Erin could steadily attract more business to her inn, most prominently the adventurer Halrac. She also saw the revival of the Horns of Hammerad in that time.
Volume 3:[edit | edit source]
Erin meets the Horns of Hammerad in Celum, and is given a magical door by them and then escorted back to Liscor. Back in Liscor, Erin throws a Christmas party that ends with her crying over Earth. The next day, she has three visitors who give her an Ancient Coin.
Volume 4:[edit | edit source]
When Regrika Blackpaw kills Brunkr, Erin saw through her and Ikriss' disguise and assembled Griffon Hunt, the Halfseekers, Zel Shivertail, and Wall Lord Ilvriss to confront them. In the ensuing battle, Ulrien is killed while Ijvani was badly damaged.
After Ryoka leaves Liscor, Erin houses the Redfang 5 in her Inn, which causes Zel to leave, despite him defending her decision to protect them. When Zel Shivertail died in the battle against the Goblin Lord, Erin can be seen crying in her Inn.
Volume 5:[edit | edit source]
At the request of Wall Lord Ilvriss, Erin connects her magical door to the Walled City of Pallass, the City of Invention. And when the Face-Eater Moths attacked Liscor, Erin used the magical door to get aid from Celum and Pallass.
During the Raskghar arc, the door played a vital role in bringing about Gold Ranked Adventurers from Pallass, and defeating the Raskghar. With the defeat of the Raskghar, the Cave Goblins under them were freed and put under the protection of Erin and the Redfang 5.
When the Flooded Waters Tribe and Redfang Tribe arrive in Liscor, Erin fed many of them over several days. And finally, when the Goblin Lord was driven to Liscor by the Humans in the North to take over the city, the Cave Goblins, the Flooded Waters Tribe, and the Redfang Tribe, with Erin's request, fought to defend the city of Liscor. This resulted in over 200,000 Goblins dying that day, including Headscratcher and Shorthilt.
Volume 6:[edit | edit source]
Erin goes on vacation to Pallass for a few weeks and helps in Liscor's election by introducing Liscor and Pallass to each other.
When the Crelers attacked the bloodfields, they came through Erin's magical door, swarming her Inn. As a result, Erin's Inn was almost completely destroyed.
And when Toren confronted Erin in her Inn, their ensuing fight ended with the total destruction of Erin's Inn, Toren's abduction by Az'kerash, and Erin going on a two week long vacation to Pallass. 
Volume 7:[edit | edit source]
At the end of Erin's vacation to Pallass, the Walled City is attacked by a weyr of Wyverns led by a Wyvern Lord. Although she did not partake much in the battle— other than by inventing molotov cocktails to distract some Wyverns to protect some civilians— she received worldwide attention by protecting Bird from the city of Pallass, as her actions were broadcasted to the world.
Erin finally returned to her Inn, and vowed to change.
Near the end of Volume 7, four Elite Drake Strike Forces from Hectval would attack Liscor, due to a previous offence to their Scalespeaker, Yisht. One of the Strike Forces would encounter Erin outside her inn, and shoot her with their crossbows, hitting her with six poison tipped bolts at her chest and stomach, which causes her to bleed out, while the poison prevents Healing Potions from working.
Knowing she is going to die, despite her friend attempt to save her, Erin tells them that her life had been happy, and conjured a little bright flame representing all her emotions, and tries to give it to them. Her heart would stop beating right after. Kevin believing that there is still a way to save her, tells the mages to freeze her immediately to Cryostasis her. Her frozen body would later be layed in the [Garden of Sanctuary]’s hilltop.
The day after, despite Kevin claim that Erin is not entirely dead, the other do not believe him as the [Detect Life] Spell doesn't work on her, until Reiss would have Numbtongue tell them that Erin is indeed not death, as the [Detect Death] Spell doesn't work on her either. A second proof would emerge right after from Visma who points out that Erin's [Field of Preservation] is still working, which makes everyone realize that all of Erin's other Inn Skills are still working as well. With this it became clear to everyone that Erin is neither alive nor dead, but trapped somewhere between life and death.
Powers and Abilities[edit | edit source]
Classes/Levels:[edit | edit source]
- [Magical Innkeeper] Lv. 45
- Derived from [Innkeeper] Lv. 30
- [Singer] Lv. 6
- [Warrior] Lv. 2
Skills:[edit | edit source]
- [Advanced Cleaning] (derived from [Basic Cleaning])
- [Advanced Cooking] (derived from [Basic Cooking])
- [Advanced Crafting] (derived from [Basic Crafting])
- [Alcohol Brewer]
- [Bar Fighting] (originally named [Tavern Brawling])
- [Control Pitch]
- [Crowd Control]
- [Immunity: Alcohol] or [Alcohol Immunity]
- [Inn’s Aura]
- [Lesser Endurance]
- [Lesser Strength]
- [Like Fire, Memory]
- Blue = Sorrow, Guilt and Loss
- Purple = Happiness
- Pink = Glory
- Invisible/Black = Hatred
- Grey = Mercy
- Sky Blue = Hope
- Red = Kindness
- [Loud Voice]
- [Minotaur Punch] (derived from [Power Strike])
- [Natural Allies: Goblins]
- [Perfect Recall]
- [Quick Recovery]
- [Unerring Throw]
Inn Skills:[edit | edit source]
Skills that apply only to the Inn itself.
- [Boon of the Guest]
- [Compartments of Holding]
- [Famous Name: The Wandering Inn]
- [Field of Preservation]
- [Garden of Sanctuary]
- [Grand Theatre]
- [Local Landmark: Liscor]
- [Magical Grounds]
- [Partial Reconstruction]
- [Reinforced Structure]
- [Twofold Rest]
Unique/Created Skills:[edit | edit source]
- [Immortal Moment]
- [Wondrous Fare] (For info see Here)
(For Leveling History see Here)
Possessions[edit | edit source]
List of unique and rare possessions that Erin came to own.
- Magical Chessboard: A chessboard that is magically linked to another smaller chessboard, so that they can mirror each move exactly, which allows 2 players to play against each other, anywhere in the world.
- Faerie Flowers
- Magical Door
- Mithril Coin
- Salazsar Ring: A golden ring with the word 'Salazsar' engraved on it. A gift given by Wall Lord Ilvres stated to be the most valuable of the ten rings the wall lord was wearing. The actual effect/ability of the ring is unknown. It is enchanted to not be noticed, by deflecting awareness away from it, and make it seem like a copper ring.
- Pelt's Masterwork Knife: A masterfully forged knife, done by Pelt. The center of the blade is made of iron for more flexibility, while the edge is made of steel for sharpness.
- Magical Go Board: Like the Magical Chessboard, allows mirrored movements of pieces between two boards from anywhere in the world. The larger number of game pieces in Go allows short text messages to be spelled out, allowing communication between players.
- Anti-[Appraisal] and [Scrying] Ring: A Ring made of a Ruby mixed with Truegold. At its center, where a gemstone might go, it has a black, faintly luminescent sigil traced in it that looks like a stylized crossed-out eye. It is enchanted to protect the user from [Appraisal] and [Scrying] Spells.
- Bag of Holding: An old little small purse as a Bag of Holding, that is just bigger than Erin’s head, with a drawstring on it, and although not holey, it is burn in one place of the cloth. It holds about 5 pounds of weight. It was given to her by Wailant.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- She objects to parts of her name, as "Erin" could either be a boy's or girl's name.
- Erin was at the earliest teleported to the Innworld in early October 2016, as she has been shown to know a quote from Trump that was released at that time. (“But he’s the one who said grab women by the—”)
- Erin is a firm believer in pepperoni when it comes to pizzas; she could take or leave pineapples, but she refuses to acknowledge anchovies.
- According to Lady Magnolia, there are five people who might win against Erin in chess: " an old fool, the world’s smallest strategist, a reclusive mage, a miserable king and a dashing and quite charming lord."
- Due to her actions, she is considered and called insane by a lot of the cast.
- So far, her leveling to [Magical Innkeeper] Lv. 35 is the only time that it was not shown, but only stated.
- Erin was infamous in Rags' tribe before they started to increase significantly in size. (Even so, they feared the inn. They feared the one that lives inside it. A trickster. A deceiver. A destroyer. She looks weak, but she is death.) (The Goblins looked at their leader, still noisily being sick in the grass. They looked back at the Destroyer, slayer of the skin monster, provider of pasta and free drinks. They backed up quickly.)
- It has been shown that Erin has bad handwriting on several occasions. She is also a bad drawer.
- After having 3 of her teeth broken and lost when Garen hit her in the jaw, Pisces mended her teeth by attaching shaped enamel of Bear Teeth to her broken ones.
- She is one of the few individuals in the world to reach Level 40 before turning 30 years old.
- There is a rumour that Erin has a cursed Skill which attracts trouble, or bad luck, as the case may be. This is due to her being constantly involved in troublesome and often deadly situations, which has obtained her a reputation for attracting trouble. Even half of her friends and acquaintances assume so, and there are even betting pool were individuals that range from the rich, to monarchs, among others, are placing bets on whether a place associated with her will be attacked in the next month, or in the following year, and how many casualties will occur.
- Grimalkin has a theory in his personal notes, about the phenomenons that occur due to, and around Erin, which he dubbed as the ‘Erin-Chaos Effect’, or 'The Solstice Effect'.
- Due to her parents liking dark chocolate instead of regular chocolate, Erin grew up preferring it as well.
- Erin has been banned from Liscor’s playgrounds after she’d once rallied the children in a day-long siege against the adults.
- According to an online Harry Potter House quiz test that Erin had taken, she is 40% Hufflepuff and 60% Gryffindor.
References[edit | edit source]
- Chapter 2.37
- Chapter 2.00
- Chapter 5.26 L
- Chapter 6.52 K
- Chapter 6.68
- Chapter 1.21
- Interlude – Meetings and Friendships
- Chapter 7.28
- Chapter 6.32
- Chapter 2.06
- Chapter 1.20
- Chapter 3.16
- Chapter 2.38
- Chapter 6.56
- Chapter 2.21
- S01 - Mating Rituals
- Chapters 1.01 to 1.06
- Chapters 1.07 to 1.14
- Chapters 1.15 to 1.25
- Chapters 1.13, 1.19 to 1.21
- Chapters 1.25 and 1.26
- Chapters 1.27 to 1.31
- Chapters 1.32 to 1.35
- Chapter 1.33
- Chapters 1.36 to 1.40
- Chapter 1.41
- Chapters 1.00 H to 1.42
- Chapters 1.43 to 1.45
- Chapter 2.01
- Chapters 2.02 and 2.03
- Chapters 2.04 and 2.05
- Chapter 2.07
- Chapter 2.11
- Chapter 2.13
- Chapter 2.17
- Chapter 2.25
- Chapter 2.26
- Chapter 2.31
- Chapter 2.33
- Interlude - 4
- Chapter 7.04
- Chapter 7.61
- Chapter 7.62
- Chapter 3.25
- Chapter 6.11
- Chapter 6.50 I
- Chapter 6.13 K
- Chapter 7.07
- Chapter 7.52
- Interlude – Burning Alcohol
- Chapter 1.01
- Chapter 2.31
- Chapter 5.12
- Chapter 1.18
- Chapter 2.02
- Chapter 6.03
- Chapter 6.10
- Chapter 8.01
- Chapter 5.59
- Chapter 5.58
- Chapter 7.02
- A Night in the Inn
- Interlude – Chocolate Alchemy
- Interlude – The Innkeeper’s Knight