The most prominent theory about Goblin Lords is that some particularly powerful Goblin Chieftains eventually become a Goblin Lord, and if they rise further, they may become a Goblin King.
- They appear to be a naturally occurring phenomenon, a rare individual born out of the Goblin population that has immeasurable talent... [...] Such is their [(Goblin Kings)] threat that Goblin Lords are actively hunted down to prevent them from becoming Goblin Kings. (Krsysl Wordsmith, History of the Second Antinium War)
However, there may be more to Goblin Lords than other races believe, as there are two kinds of Goblin Lords:
- One kind attracts other Goblins through some far-reaching aura-effect that pulls other Goblins to them and convinces them to follow such a Lord. They usually raise armies and lead them to battle other races.
- The second kind are Goblin Lords who don't attract attention, but apparently work towards another goal that has not been revealed yet.
Known Goblin Lords
- The Goblin Lord (who recently plagued Izril in volumes 2 to 5), known to a select few persons as Reiss
- Greydath of Blades, oldest known Goblin Lord alive
- Murmar, confirmed dead
- Tallis the Stormbreaker, believed dead