Selphids are one of the Races of Innworld. They are basically parasites, as they can't live on their own, but need to take over a body, which they can control freely. They are more commonly known as "The body snatchers of Baleros".
A Selphid's true form consists of a dark green and yellow semi-fluid wriggling mass of tendrils, with orange blood.
Physical Qualities Edit
Selphids can infiltrate the stomach of a body, their tendrils stretching throughout the nervous system and wrapped around some of the organs. They can infiltrate the body of the living as well, talk with their host and control them forcefully if they want.
Deceased Bodies Edit
If the body they infiltrate is dead, it takes them some time to assume control of the new form, as they have to remove the blood and several organs. They can take on the attributes of their host as well. They rarely breathe if they don't speak, and also blink much less than normal people. When the body gets too much damaged, they have to change to a new one, as healing potions don’t work on dead flesh. An unconscious Selphid would normally be confused with a dead body.
In dead humans bodies, the skin and the insides of the body becomes totally white, as they are bloodless. Other organisms occupied by a Selphid are similarly and recognizably pale, be they Drakes, Lizardfolk, Gnolls, Rasghar etc. They don't compose as quickly as regular corpses, but over time, Selphid bodies develop a distinctly "dead" odour.
Living Bodies Edit
If a Selphid posses the body of a living person it would make the both of them very powerful, as the Selphid has the ability to stop bleeding, move a body when critically injured and heal each injury with such precision. Also having both the Selphid and Host working together would give them a body, with two minds, each with their own set of Classes and Skills.
They are able to eat anything that the other races can. They can also eat carrion insects and corpse as well.
Magical Qualities Edit
Special Abilities Edit
Selphids can force the Host bodies of both the living and dead to performing great feats of strength that are normally not possible. This is done by performing a phenomenon known as Hysterical Strength, which exceed the body limits for a brief period, to push a body’s muscles and nerves past their physical threshold. While the other species can do it in times of dire need, Selphids have no such limitations of the mind and can do it whenever they please.
Disease Resistance Edit
Selphids do not grow ill from most disease, and there are some bacteria that can't infect them.
Rampaging Limits Edit
Doing a Rampaging tear apart the body’s muscles and burns the nerves. While doing so to a living body would be painful for the Host and leave them in pain from torn muscles, a Healing Potion can be used to heal the Host. Since Healing Potions don't work with a dead body, an overuse of Rampaging will degrade and break the body down far, far more quickly.
The Selphids are susceptible to a Disease known as the "Wasting".
Behavior and Culture Edit
They have set a rule that no body they snatch is allowed to be alive. Breaking that law is punishable by death, as other races remember the opression under Selphid rule and the Selphids remember being despised and hunted after their regime was overthrown. For that reason, Selphids police themselves and fight anyone trying to inhabitate a living body.
Still, some Selphids are willing to make exceptions to that rule, mostly for reasons of self-preservation:
- Okasha was allowed to remain inside Geneva Scala's body with Geneva's permission, as Geneva would otherwise be quadriplegic and higher-ranking Selphids are hoping that Geneva might save their race from the Wasting disease.
- Jelaqua temporarily hid in Moore's body after the corpse she jockeyed was too badly mutilated to support her. She left Moore quickly for a new body, and pledged all witnesses to silence about the affair. Her ride had been in consent.
Around 10,000 years ago the the Selphids of the Magus Kingdom of Azervrish, the last nation of the Selphid, enslaved any race they could find under the rule of a powerful [Archmage], until an alliance between various nations and their host slaves destroyed them.
Back in those days, many Selphids had classes like [Controller] or [Overlord].
Many members of other races don't regard Selphids as people.
- They have knowledge about arteries, veins and bloodflow, as they have seen them and felt how they move.
- Okasha had shown that Selphids that inhabit a living body can hear, if they listen, the announcement when the Host gains a new Level and Skill.
- Okasha had wondered if their ancestors, when they still possessed living people, perhaps not controlled them but worked with them.
- The Bodies of Fellden is the largest Selphid-only company in Baleros.
- The bodies of warriors over Level 30 are worth their weight in gold among the Selphids. Something happens to people as they level. They change. Even in death, bodies like that are as strong as steel. They don’t break. People moving long after they’ve taken wounds that would kill them, even if their hearts have stopped.