During Chandrar ancient times, when Dragons had came to rule the continent with force, 17 of Chandrar's nations had the will to raise up to resist them, and eventually overthrown them. Each nation who did battle with the Dragons would later take on the name of Shield Kingdom, and the duty to shield against the tyrants’ return.
The Shield Kingdoms then formed a bond, and a pledge that no Shield Kingdom would ever march to war on another. That oath would fail within a decade, but a greater alliance would be made; that even if a Shield Kingdom should oppose another, they should not perish. Each Shield Kingdom should at least endeavor to keep the others alive. That some might be left when Dragons return. And they did.
Dragons would came 2 more times only to be fought off by the Shield Kingdoms. And the Shield Kingdoms would even rally for other causes, like when the world was crawling with Crelers, the Shield Kingdoms stood against them.
Eventually, from the 17 Shield Kingdoms, 13 of them would either fall apart, were destroyed by calamity or simple foolishness—their protections turned out to be less than perfect. Only 4 would remain, by chance as much as trust.
The Known Shield Kingdoms
- A’ctelios Salash, the Carven City, Tombhome, the Shield Kingdom which Rots.
- Germina, the Throne of Ger, protected by the Quarass who Lives Forever.
- Merreid, the Labyrinth City, the Bazaar of Fables, the City that Thinks.
- Qualvekkaras, the Kingdom of the Winds, the last bastion of the Garuda.
- The 4 remaining Shield Kingdoms are all located into Chandrar's cardinal directions section, which are; North - Merreid, East - Germina, West - Qualvekkaras, and South - A’ctelios Salash.
- Each Shield Kingdom is different, but what makes them unique is a common feature. They were all founded with the intent to stand forever.
- Khelt may have well been a Shield Kingdom had it existed in Chandrar ancient times, and perhaps it will grow into one if it endures some more millennia.
- Paranfer, capital of the Blighted Kingdom, is also called a Shield City, but this is not known if it is unrelated to the Shield Kingdoms or not.
- Before it was Confirmed in Ch 7.09 K, it was only Speculated that the Shield Kingdoms shielded against Dragons, from Ch 4.06 KM, Ch 6.54 K and Ch 6.55 K.